Skip to Content

The homestead at Hato Pāora (Saint Paul's) College. This building was originally constructed in 1913 for a local farming family on the outskirts of Feilding. In 1947, the property was bought by the Catholic church and transformed into Hato Pāori College, a boarding school for Māori boys. In it's prime, the pictured building housed the priests and four dormitories, and was named Ihaka House. Sadly, it was demolished in 2016 after concerns were raised with the school board regarding black rot bacteria and extensive water damage.

Written on the back of this photograph: 'Originally stud sheep farmer's residence, now Catholic college to aid agricultural training to Māori boys.'

Edited by Lydia Smith, 2023.


Agriculture and Related Industries


hato paorangi,
sheep stud,
Community Tags

Report a problem